Kwazulu Natal Student Branch
About Kwazulu Natal Student Branch
Please follow this link https://iaiasakznstudentbranch.webs.com to the student website for more information
The Student Branch was founder with the aim of bridging the gap between students and professionals. By fostering strong relationships between students and IAIAsa KZN (Provincial Branch) members, it allows for a greater transfer of benefits and resources between both sectors. These links give students the opportunity to network and gain a greater understanding of what the working world has to offer. The key objectives of the Branch are:
- Providing students with the opportunity to enhance their job prospects by becoming more marketable in the job market and increasing the chances of students finding work once qualified
- Allowing students to garner a better understanding of the different fields within environmental management
- Allowing students to get a firm grip on the structure of environmental management in South Africa and to familiarise them with processes and terminology used within the field.
- To increase student’s networking potential and ability to make contacts within the Environmental management field.
- Provide a platform for which internships can be offered to students from environmental companies and organisations.
- Provide an avenue for consultants and practitioners to conduct activities to attain CPD points.
KwaZulu-Natal Student Branch Chair: Nolwazi Ndimande
Nolwazi holds a BSc Honours in Geography & Environmental Management from the University of KwaZulu- Natal. She is currently an MSc candidate at UKZN and an intern for a non-profit company in Pietermaritzburg. Her MSc project is entitled Biodiversity offsets in South Africa: Evaluating an evolving regulatory framework and implications for best practice.
KwaZulu-Natal Student Branch Vice Chair: Austin Sharkey
Austin has completed a B.S.S in Geography and Environmental Management at the University of KwaZulu-Natal. He majored in both Geography and Environmental Science and is currently registered for B.S.S Honours in Geography and Environmental Management at UKZN with a special research focus on assessing forest health with the use of Geographic Information Systems and Remote Sensing.
KwaZulu-Natal Student Branch Secretary: Kimara Moodley
Kimara holds An Honours degree in Geography & Environmental Management from the University of KwaZulu-Natal. She is currently registered for a MSc in Environmental Management and her research interests include Advanced spatial modelling, Geographic Information Systems and Hydrology.
KwaZulu-Natal Student Branch Treasurer: Zanele Makhaya
Zanele obtained her junior degree in Bachelor of Social Science: Geography and Environmental Management and BSS Honours in Geography at the University of KwaZulu-Natal. Zanele is currently doing her post graduate studies in Remote Sensing. She is passionate about environmental management and has an interest in mapping land suitability, fire behavior and catchment management and restoration.
KwaZulu-Natal Student Branch Marketing/ Media officer: Talia Enoch
Talia has obtained a BSc degree with majors in Biology and Environmental Science from the University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN). She is currently studying a BSc Honours in Environmental Science at UKZN where she is researching sea-level change during the late Holocene. She works part-time as an intern at the university’s animal house.
Staff Representative Pietermaritzburg Campus: Dayle Trotter
Dayle is a lecturer in the Discipline of Geography at UKZN, Pietermaritzburg Campus. Her teaching, supervision and research interests are in environmental management and assessment (EIAs, SEAs, EMFs), environmental governance and sustainability thinking.